On 09/03/2009 06:07 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Tim Moore <timo...@redhat.com
> <mailto:timo...@redhat.com>> wrote:

>     It would be a pity to move from CVS and end up with SVN, even
>     temporarily.
>     First, let's be clear that "some other system" means Git. Several of us
>     already use git for working with Flightgear. If anyone is using another
>     system to interact with Flightgear's CVS, I'm not aware of it. There are
>     at least two Git mirrors of of Flightgear and Simgear, so the conversion
>     work has already been done.
>

> As long as this discussion is branching off in several directions, is it
> worth discussing mercurial versus git?  code.google.com
> <http://code.google.com> supports mercurial (hg).  I have never used
> either.  I've done a bit of googling, but much of the information I've
> found has been dated, or not written in a way that convinces me of the
> author's objectivity.

>     The advantages of distributed version control systems over centeralized
>     ones like SVN are numerous, and I won't hash them out here unless it
>     becomes necessary :) code.google.com <http://code.google.com> does
>     support Mercurial (also known
>     as Hg), and I would urge you to consider that as a target instead of
>     SVN.

> From what I've read, hg and git seem to be converging in similar
> directions and each tool seems to be adding features to address their
> own weaknesses in comparison with the other.

My point about trying hg boils down to this: if you absolutely must use
code.google.com because the infrastructure support is so compelling,
then hg is the way to go. I'd deal with using hg, perhaps via git.
But you should remember that the fg developer expertise lies very much
with git. If you're willing to consider other hosting sites than google,
savannah.org and github.com are worth checking out; we might be able
to get opendesktop.org to host us as well.

> Just as I'm writing this I am remembering an old grad school class
> project I did with two other guys.  We created a system based on CVS
> which would automatically replicate a CVS repository across all
> participating systems.  This was back when we were all on dialup, and
> you usually dialed into a bulletin board system, not an ISP.  (Am I
> dating myself?) :-)   So we set up uucp bewteen our home machines and
> all the communication was done through emails that were automatically
> intercepted and parsed on the receiving end.  The uucp subsystem took
> care of automatically dialing up the other computers if there was
> something in the mail queue to be sent.  There was a "token" for each
> file and you had to have the token in order to do a commit.  If you
> didn't have the token, a token request was broadcast (over email/uucp)
> and eventually it would be sent back to you and you could finalize the
> commit.  Believe it or not, this system actually worked and worked
> rather well to maintain synchronization between distributed repository
> copies across a non-internet connected collection of machines ... back
> in the days before DSL and cable when it was actually difficult to get
> connected up to the "internet".
Sounds a lot like CVSup.

>     I haven't checked it out yet, but I did browse it. I did notice that you
>     imported the expanded CVS $Id$ strings into SVN, which is going to get
>     very messy. At the least you should do the CVS checkout with -kk.
>

> I didn't do a cvs checkout, but just ran cvs2svn ... I wonder if it has
> an option for this?  Nothing is jumping out at me yet ...
I don't know the tool, but I think you want --keywords=off.

Tim