On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Gene Buckle  wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Tatsuhiro Nishioka wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I found a problematic forum topic on planning an MP event, by which I
> really got hurt at least.
> > http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5761
> >
> > The plan of the event is to simulate the bombing mission against both
> > Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the horrible two atomic bombs). As a developer
> > of FG / Zero, and as a person who lives in Japan. I'm very angry and sad
> > to see such event is being planned.
> >

> Tasteless?  Oh probably.  But then again, so is Grand Theft Auto IV.
>
> It's a game.  Get over it.

Hey Gene,

I know you've been around long enough that if you spent 30 seconds pondering
your answer, you could probably come up with a little bit better one?

Flip it around ... can you imagine some sort of "bombing" mission reenacting
some event from not too many years ago, that would probably anger and upset
most americans, especially if it was organized as a "for fun" event, and
maybe even worse if it drew the participation primarly from some particular
group of people.

There are a lot of tasteless things we could point to that exist, but that
doesn't necessarily mean we need to endorse them, participate in them, or
use them as an excuse to justify further tasteless, or offensive, or
potentially hurtful things.

I'm not saying we should run around trying to fix everything we think is
wrong, I don't have the energy to fight every battle at the same time.  I
can suggest to people that some things might be a bad idea, but ultimately
they make the choices for themselves.  I don't think as a group we should be
actively endorsing this particular even (assuming Tat is accurately
presenting what is being planned.)  We can speak out against it and say it's
a bad idea. At the end of the day if a few people still insist on behaving
badly, then I guess that's the way it has to be.

I've done a few stupid things in my life ... I'm not saying any of this from
a position of authority and pureness on the matter.

So a simulated mission to fly anywhere to drop a simulated atomic bomb.  Has
anyone checked the age of the people who are excited about doing this?  It's
probably going to average out at about 14.5 and that's including Gene.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/