Hi lee, funny enough I mostly agree.
But I'm sorry, it's really easy to ignore you because like some of the
fanbois of the event, you're resorting to demeaning language to speak of
those who don't agree with you, showing exactly the intolerance you're
decrying.
At least, you're not resorting to racial epithets, which you would know
happened if you had read the thread, as well as it was the original intent
of the event's organiser to re-enact the atom bombings (he thinks there are
no bombings possible in FGFS, showing how hard he's tried to research the
topic, thus why it was changed to a dogfighting event...)

Get your facts straight, if you're going to comment, as you're basing your
opinion on non straight facts :)
Cheers,
Nic

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM, leee <l...@spatial.plus.com> wrote:

> The most depressing thing about this thread is that it highlights
> the fact that many people seem to think that the best way to deal
> with unpleasant events in history is to mythologise and make them
> sacred and untouchable, and then to try to force other people to
> comply with their personal views.
>
> First of all, Tat has presented this event as a recreation of the
> A-bomb raids, which is factually incorrect.  Tat even says in his
> post on the forum "I haven't read all posts in this thread..." but
> that ignorance hasn't stopped him from going off on an irrelevant
> tangent over something that isn't even happening.  Harsh words?
> Yes indeed, but I have no patience or sympathy for anyone who wants
> to force their will on other people, especially when they've got
> their facts wrong, or simply choose to misrepresent them.  It's bad
> enough that politicians get away with it.
>
> In any case though, even if the raid was to be an enactment of one
> of the A-bomb raids, is forbidding people to do it the best way to
> deal with the issue?  Should enactments of unpalatable events in
> history made into thought-crimes?  There's certainly no real crime
> being committed here, is there?
>
> The fact is, events like the A-bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
> actually occurred, along with numerous other raids where the
> majority of casualties were civilian, such as the firebombing of
> Tokyo (which is believed to have actually killed more people than
> either of the A-bomb raids), Dresden and Hamburg, together with the
> raids on Coventry & Sheffield, not forgetting to mention the Blitz
> on London or the attacks on the Ruhr Dams.
>
> So no, mythologising these unpalatable events is not the best way to
> come to terms with them.  To understand how such terrible events
> came to occur requires that the events be inspected down to their
> finest details and it's only when you completely understand what
> happened that you stand a chance of ensuring that it doesn't happen
> again.  Saying that people should treat these events as something
> sacred and that re-enacting them or studying them is somehow
> offensive just ensures ignorance, which is no way to tackle the
> future.
>
> This issue really has nothing to do with FlightGear.  FlightGear is
> all about flight, and to a large degree about the development of
> flight, both in the past and for the future, and the fact is that
> much of the development in flight has its origins in the military.
> Just as we can't truly understand the past that has brought us to
> the present without correctly understanding _all_ of the past,
> FlightGear cannot properly deal with the subject of flight if it
> tries to ignore the military factor.
>
> If there's really a problem, it's actually more to do with people
> who can't differentiate between understanding something and
> advocating it, and this can already be shown to have fostered
> ignorance.  For example, as pointed out in the forum thread, the
> [...]

Be Kind.
Remember, everyone is fighting a hard battle.