Hi Tom,

Tom P wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>wrote:

> I know that this is a valid fix, if I sounded like I was dismissing it, my
> apologies.
> For the sake of completeness, I've tried your suggestion, and yes, FG works
> as expected. :-)

I'm glad to know !
I've probably spent months of my life just for the simple task of
fixing incorrect resolver/hosts configurations while searching for the
cause of networking software not working as advertised. Therefore I
might be a bit sensitive when it comes to acknowleding incorrect
(others would probably call them "buggy") configurations as being
standard ....

> And in fact, if my machine was on a static IP, I'd consider changing the
> /etc/hosts without a second thought.
>
> But with DHCP, I don't see a clean solution, other than writing a script to
> update the /etc/hosts every time a new address is leased.

Well, distributors are shipping scripts to update the IP address on the
interface, to update the 'resolv.conf', maybe other things as well,
probably even to update the NTP client config. Why the heck should they
not add a function to update the 'hosts' in a proper way.

I know, it's not your fault, but still very annoying,

        Martin.