On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Heiko Schulz <aeitsch...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> If you mean this sudden banking when after reaching a new wayoint: yes. It
> is known and is still on the bug-list on flightgear.org anywhere.
>
> There were some aircraft authors who had a workaround with nasal- to my
> knowledge the 787 Forums-version and so much as I know the 777 by Syd had
> this also.
>
> With the work by James Turner now on the GPS and Route-Manager it would be
> nice we could solve that. Bu Mega-fault is a bit hard said- the people here
> are working for free and in their spare-time beside Job, family and other
> hobbies....

Really, this is all in how the autopilot is tuned and configured.

FlightGear doesn't model realistic control surface deflection rates so it's
possible to command an instantaneous deflection of the control surfaces.
FlightGear also doesn't model how much load the airframe can endure before
pieces began to depart and go their own separate ways.

Thus assuming infinite control surface deflection rates and perfectly rigid
and robust airframe, and assuming the flight dynamics are configured
correctly, what you see is a realistic response.

You can tune the control surface movement rates and maximum deflection
angles in the autopilot configuration for each aircraft.  This would be an
excellent place to start.

This isn't a systemic FlightGear problem, it's an autopilot configuration
problem that seems to be replicated across many aircraft.

But tuning autopilots is hard for most people, and probably for most
aircraft authors so this is an area that is not attended to very well.  You
might be imagining that FlightGear has a single universal autopilot that
runs all airplanes the same way, and you'd be wrong.  There is an individual
config file that sets up the cascading stages and inputs and reference
values and outputs for each stage.  You can do a lot of neat stuff with it,
but if it's not well tuned you'll get a lot of unstable behavior.

For what it's worth I recently saw a very expensive UAV flying with a poorly
tuned autopilot and the result was not smooth and graceful whereas the
aircraft flew beautifully under manual control.

Best regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/