Lee

First, thanks for the quick into to Flightgear´s autopilot.

I think that your premise that autopilots need to run at very high frame
rates is not realistic.

When I first got into autopilots and simulation, back in the 60´s, all of
our models had as the final element a 0.1 second low pass filter which
simulated the control surface actuator. This turns out to be a reasonable
approximation for most actuators and is very simple to implement both in a
analogue computer (which is all we had then) and in digital ones.

As there is such a filter in the inner loop means that there is no need to
simulate anything which has a faster response time than this. Therefore
there is no need to run the autopilot at high frame rates. 10 or 20 per
second is perfectly adequate.

Many of the outer loops (e.g. the heading mode) of the autopilot can in
practice be run at much slower frame rates as the response of the aircraft
is quite slow.

Alan