Alan Teeder wrote:

> Sorry to be the messenger, but compilation of soundmgr_openal.cxx and all
> flightgear files using soundmgr_openal.hxx fails under VC90.
>
> See attached build log.
>
> I am using the 3rd part libraries as per
> flightgear/source/projects/VC90/README.msvc.
>  i.e.
> (Precompiled librairies and headers for compiling Win32 executables with
> VS2008 :
> ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Win32/MSVC/fgfs-win32-VS90-
> 3rdParty
> +OSG-20090628.zip)
>
> Same error with more recent fgfs-win32-VS90-3rdParty+OSG-20090820.
>
> Do I need a more recent version of OpenAL?
>
> Alan

I finally got around to updating FG/SG to Head. As we know - it fails under
MSVC9. Here's how I fixed it:

Downloaded and installed OpenAL 1.1 Core SDK from Creative Labs.

Downloaded freealut-1.1.0 from Creative Labs. Compiled it by converting the
MSVC 7 project files supplied to MSVC9, and including OpenAL 1.1 Core SDK.
Put the generated alut.dll in the active path.

Patched soundmgr_openal.cxx/hxx and sample_group.hxx with

+#elif defined(_WIN32)
+# include <al.h>

or

+#elif defined(_WIN32)
+# include <al.h>
+# include <alc.h>
+# include <AL/alut.h>

as appropriate.

Built FG/SG with \freealut-1.1.0\include and \OpenAL 1.1 Core SDK\include.

Linked FG to \freealut-1.1.0\admin\VisualStudioDotNET\alut\Release and
OpenAL 1.1 Core SDK\libs\Win32.

As they say here in the UK "simples". Does it work - yes, except FG now
crashes on exit. I can now hear excellent sound, and nice new 3D clouds,
with almost no impact on framerate.

I expect Fred can come up with a better, easier way.

Vivian