On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM, James Sleeman <flightg...@gogo.co.nz> wrote:

> Also, that's double mixing for pulse applications isn't it?  Seems a
> fairly bad idea for latency and cpu on everything that goes through
> pulse, which is, pretty well everything else except flightgear :-/

And skype and possibly flash.
I found this forum thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=852822
It details how to set up pulseaudio for dmix (surprise!) Yeah, the
devs keep saying it is wrong. But I guess if everything is going
through pulse, the alsa dmix won't have anything to mix so no overhead
there. Same for running an alsa/dmix app while not running any pulse
app. Only when both alsa/dmix *and* pulse are used simultaneously will
you get the double mixing. Even in that case, in my opinion it is
better to have it working with a little extra resource usage than not
having it work at all.

Thanks for the backtrace but that seems to be inside pulseaudio's own
(!) lib called by openal. Don't think it is related to FG.
I can't give you a different openal application apart from fgcom and
the standalone tests in FG itself.

For the record, I am not using pulse or ubuntu. Just tried to help.

--
Csaba/Jester