On Monday 01 Feb 2010, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> leee wrote:
> > >
> > > Looks like that part is gone, at least the part where every
> > > random object in the scenery was in the same place every time
> > > you start up FlightGear. This used to be working at some
> > > point (and could be used for landmark navigation).
> > >
> > > Erik
> >
> > It's a sad fact that much of which used to make FG extremely
> > stable and consistant has been sacrificed to implement new
> > features.
> >
> > Sorry folks, but all the new developments in FG, over the past
> > few years, have come at the cost of stability and robustness.
>
> Codswallop :)
>
> This particular bug is in a feature that was introduced in
> post-plib, and is not a regression, as you seem to be implying.
>
> As I recall, the plib code didn't even attempt to make random
> object placement consistent across runs and I spent quite some
> time with help from a number of people in putting together
> something that provided that consistency.
>
> I remember the 0.9.8 and 0.9.9 releases all having issues, just
> as the 1.9.1b has and 2.0.0 releases will have. People have
> worked very hard to track down difficult bugs such as the NaN
> issue and to ensure consistency when enhancing FG (e.g. the sound
> system)..
>
> CVS has possibly become a little less stable, but I can't say
> that I've noticed, and my understanding is that the release team
> are working from a GIT branch of known-stable code to ensure that
> we've got a stable release.
>
> Sniping from the side-lines has absolutely no value unless you're
> prepared to roll up your sleeves, which you've stated you aren't.
>
> -Stuart

In the past I was able to track down and fix a couple of minor code
bugs, and add a couple of new filter types, but I simply don't have
the C++ and OOP skills to delve more deeply into the code; it's not
a question of not being "prepared to roll up my sleeves" but rather
that to do so would just leave me standing around with cold arms.

LeeE