On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 08:37 -0700, Ron Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 10:20 +0100, andrea...@gmx.net wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I think I found a little bug in a couple of JSBSim-aircraft:
> > The property
> > /fdm/jsbsim/aero/coefficient/CDde  (Drag_due_to_Elevator_Deflection)
> >
> > takes negative values when the elevator moves up, so the elevator face
> > is accelerating the plane.
> > The wrong code is found in the <model>.xml file:
> >
> >     <product>
> >         <property>aero/qbar-psf</property>
> >         <property>metrics/Sw-sqft</property>
> >         <property>fcs/elevator-pos-norm</property>
> >         <value>0.059</value>
> >     </product>
> >
> > "fcs/elevator-pos-norm" should be turned to an absolute value by
> > <abs> .. </abs>
>
> Yes, you are correct.

One thing I forgot to note is, just a "quick" fix like this can break an
aircraft if it was "tweaked" to fly correctly with this bug.  After all,
you're changing a moderate amount of thrust for an equivalent drag
force.  I tried a quick flight in the L-1049 after doing this change and
it would barely take off...  So each aircraft at a minimum needs a
flight test and possibly some tuning for the fix.

Ron