On Friday 26 February 2010 17:16:38 Detlef Faber wrote:

> I guess most duplicate files are instruments which are not in the
> generic folder.
> Of course it would be desireable to have them all in one place and
> reference to there, but that would cause severe problems with the
> aircraft downloads, because every aircraft on the download page would
> need a second package for instruments which are not in the Base
> package.
> Including all these Instruments in the Base Package would greatly
> increase the download size.

This repeatedly strikes me as problems that Linux packages managers have
solved completely, elegantly and simply a long time ago. They support
dependencies, so commonly used parts only have to be installed once. They
support versioning, making upgrades simple and safe by for example not
allowing binaries to be installed alongside incompatible data. With systems
like the openSUSE build service, users can even create their own repositories
and link to others. Those systems even support mirrors to spread downloads.

Maybe it's time to use what's already there?

Stefan