On 3/3/10 5:16 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
> Proftpd has the ability to limit the number of connections from any single
> host.  Otherwise one person often ends up grabbing all the available
> download slots.  Anyone want to look into a torrent?  Is there an easy
> recipe for setting one up?  What's the bandwidth required to seed it?

I am no expert on this at all, I haven't even created a seed yet. I
suppose I am a leech but I browsed the web for a short while and came up
with these suggestions:

1) Urgently, someone who has a decent upload speed and has his computer
on-line 24/7 could seed the packages and publish them on fg web site and
torrent tracker sites ... after reasonable time there would be enough
copies available. Assuming that there are not too many leeches I don't
think bandwidth is an issue.

2) Maybe web seeding could solve the problem?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29#Web_seeding

3) Or maybe one of the current ftp site maintainers could utilize
http://www.torrentflux.com/ which may help?

4) There are seed boxes that can be used for a cost,
http://filesharefreak.com/2009/01/15/10-really-cheap-seedboxes-that-anyone-can-afford/

As I understand the problem for fg is that we cannot rely on someone
seeding just to be nice, it must be a more central source. Naively I
think this is accomplished by setting up a tracker for the fg torrents
only (or use a public tracker) and providing a seed that is always
online. This would guarantee the availability (avoid the swarm to die
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29#The_leech_problem) of
the packages but benefit from other peers during peak traffic. I think
this is something that should be set up by the current bandwidth
providers. They would benefit from the set up also.

Surely, there must be someone among the list readers who knows more
about these things?

Jari