Quite a few years ago we had a debate, because we had to choose
between two sets of shoreline data:

1. GSHSS was very nicely detailed (every little cove and point), but
about 1 mile off for the Great Lakes, leaving shoreline airports
either far inland or floating in the middle of a lake.

2. Vmap0 was much lower resolution (only big bays and points), but
actually had the Great Lakes shorelines in roughly the right place.

Since I was doing most of the TerraGear coding that year, I forced
through vmap0, but a lot of people objected -- I thought it was OK for
the Toronto harbourfront, but I don't remember for certain, and I
don't know what FlightGear is using now.

All the best,

David