One of the things I discovered back in 1995/1996 when I really first felt
the need/desire/motivation to participate in an open-source flight simulator
project was that so much of the field was a closed black box.  There were a
couple PC companies that figured things out and rolled out respectable
products, and there was the big flight training motion sims that did
astounding impressive realistic work.  But none of these guys were talking.
 Even if they were (to be fair some of them were if you could find the right
individual and strike up a friendship with them) the breadth of knowledge
required to build a real flight simulator was so vast that it can't really
be addressed in a single book.  What to do?

I will submit that FlightGear itself is one attempt to address the problem
of cracking open the black box and exposing the mysteries and magic to
anyone who wants to see.

I also observe that if a person wants to tackle a huge and difficult area,
it's hard to know where to start.  Really there isn't one single good way to
do this.  I find that I really have to hit the subject from different
directions ... and I have to take turns nibbling away from different sides.
 It's a huge challenge, and no one can just hand you it all gift wrapped on
a silver platter.

So if there are folks out there staring at what seems like a big black box
mystery full of impenetrable magic when it comes to flight simulation,
here's my advice:

1. It is hard, there is a lot to learn, you will be frustrated, it will take
a lot of time.

2. Think about hitting things from multiple directions.  It won't be easy,
but these days you have more resources than ever before.

3. The book that is the subject of this thread might be a good introduction
to expose you to a number of the areas that you need to think about and
consider.

4. FlightGear code serves as a proof by example.  It's not *the* way, it
doesn't do *everything*, it doesn't always do what it does perfectly, but it
is serves as a huge collection of examples for how to solve a variety of
challenges in the flight sim world.

5. The flightgear project has "collected" (and I use that word with ample
smiley faces as I type) a great cross section of talented developers in the
flight simulator arena.  We have mailing lists, we have a forum, we have IRC
... if you do have specific questions, we have a lot of folks that can offer
suggestions and ideas.

6. FlightGear isn't the only open-source flight simulator project on the
net.  There are others, so if FlightGear is too big and overwhelming to
start out with, maybe go hunting for a project that has a
smaller/tighter/more focused code base and that might be a way to get up to
speed in many areas more quickly.

For me, one of the *big* things that makes something worth spending my time
on, is if I'm learning.  The more you learn, the more experiences you have,
the more areas of life you explore (and some of those explorations might
terminate in a dead end or a 'failure' but it's still good experience) ...
the more of this that you accumulate, then the more you are capable of doing
and the more interesting and fun projects you can work on.  Wow, sorry to
get all philosophical here!

Curt.