On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 14:10:58 -0400, Gary wrote in message
<aanlktikrukm+kk2runqqklqcwymy1vjpuvi79n715...@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 00:16:40 -0400, Gary wrote in message
> > <aanlktikcpogneb+aonmfgddctnkftfsyqv6evl+9g...@mail.gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Can anyone help with a 3D cloud issue? The clouds now display as
> >> identical flat gray panels instead of their usual realistic
> >> appearance. This has persisted for (guessing) 6-8 weeks now. Here
> >> are a couple screen shots to illustrate the problem-
> >>
> >> http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1671/3dclouds1.jpg
> >> http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8100/3dclouds2.jpg
> >>
> >> FlightGear and SimgGear are Gitorious 'next' branch, fgdata is
> >> Gitorious 'master'. ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2
> >> 4200+ CPU, 2G memory. Video card is ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AGP. OS is
> >> Slackware64 Linux, kernel 2.6.35.5, X.org open source video driver
> >> (not the ATI proprietary one) using KMS.
> >
> > ..which one, "ati", "radeon" or "radeonhd"???
> > With a 9700 Pro, you should be using "ati" or "radeon".
> > (If you are, try "radeonhd" to see how that works, it
> > _should_ fail.)
> >
> > .."ati" is a wrapper for "radeon", "mach64" and
> > "r128", X should pick the right one for your card,
> > but sometimes the automagic fails.
> Hmm. It loads both ati and radeon modules, then the log output is
> tagged "RADEON(0)". So it must be using the radeon driver. They don't
> exactly make it easy to tell :-) It's not radeonhd, my card is pre-HD.
>

> > ..you posted picture links, how about your log links?
> Good point. X server log:
> http://www.mediafire.com/?21cfo1sb4v6h694

..I find a line '(**) RADEON(0): Option "AccelDFS" "1"',
which I suspect may correspond to an option line in your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (Option "AccelDFS" "1"), try comment
it out and see what happens.

..http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon says "Option
"AccelDFS"" should be "# 1/0 On for PCIE, off for AGP",
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon suggests there are changes
in e.g. DFS that now stall things that used to work.

..http://www.free3d.org/ for X tweak benchmarks. ;o)

..your X log is taken after a FG run?
Anything in dmesg output?

> FlightGear console output: