On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 14:10:58 -0400, Gary wrote in message
> <aanlktikrukm+kk2runqqklqcwymy1vjpuvi79n715...@mail.gmail.com>:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net> wrote:

>> > ..which one, "ati", "radeon" or "radeonhd"???
>> > With a 9700 Pro, you should be using "ati" or "radeon".
>> > (If you are, try "radeonhd" to see how that works, it
>> > _should_ fail.)
>> >
>> > .."ati" is a wrapper for "radeon", "mach64" and
>> > "r128", X should pick the right one for your card,
>> > but sometimes the automagic fails.
>> Hmm. It loads both ati and radeon modules, then the log output is
>> tagged "RADEON(0)". So it must be using the radeon driver. They don't
>> exactly make it easy to tell :-) It's not radeonhd, my card is pre-HD.
>>

>> > ..you posted picture links, how about your log links?
>> Good point. X server log:
>> http://www.mediafire.com/?21cfo1sb4v6h694
>
> ..I find a line '(**) RADEON(0): Option "AccelDFS" "1"',
> which I suspect may correspond to an option line in your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (Option "AccelDFS" "1"), try comment
> it out and see what happens.
Correct. I set it to 0, didn't seem to change anything. Xorg.0.log
echoed the config line but there was no other diff from the previous
log.

> ..http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon says "Option
> "AccelDFS"" should be "# 1/0 On for PCIE, off for AGP",
> http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon suggests there are changes
> in e.g. DFS that now stall things that used to work.
>
> ..http://www.free3d.org/ for X tweak benchmarks. ;o)
>
> ..your X log is taken after a FG run?
No, but I checked it again just now after running FG and nothing had been added.

> Anything in dmesg output?
No, nothing there either.

Again, I appreciate you taking a look. You've given me good some ideas
for further research, namely, looking at the KMS radeon driver sources
for authoritative info on the different driver options. My config file
hadn't been updated for a while and some of the options weren't even
recognized any more.

My other idea is to grovel through the FG code that loads/executes
shaders, and look for something that indicates whether they worked or
not - just plug in some calls to printf(), and try to see what's
happening in there.