On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Curtis Olson wrote:

> Oh dear ...
>
> http://www.noswearing.com/dictionary
>
> I was going to say that we could probably do a pretty good job at coming up
> with a list ourselves, then I saw this site and realized I'm a complete
> novice ...

A filter like this belongs in the client machine, not the server.

It's not the job of a multi-player server to provide nanny services.  If
the end user doesn't want to see adult language, they're welcome to enable
whatever filtering that could be built into the client.  In fact, this
could be enabled by default - that way paruhnts of pweshush snowflakes
don't come screaming at you about having to gouge out their eyes over four
letter words (spelling of "parents" is intentional).

Any kind of multi-player universe is going to have "griefers".  There's no
reasonable way around it.  There are ways to mitigate it though.  The most
effective methods require people in the loop unfortunately.

Authenticated logins will help - as well as a rating system that other
users can use to filter bad-actors.  The ratings would have to be provided
by other players.  Say they'd start out as a 10 and every n complaints,
they'd get docked a point.  Troublesome users would eventually lower their
rating to a point where most players wouldn't see them.  Think of how the
Slashdot moderation system work - you can read the comments at a specific
"level"....  The same could be done with MP traffic on the client.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007