Promoting the concept of free market place of ideas here:

The multiplayer server source is open and anyone can setup their own server.
 Sure the MP system is only fun when there are lots of people participating

But if someone wants to have their own private free for all and express any
opinion in anyway, I have no problem with that ... they can set up their own
server and go at it.

On the flip side, if enough people determine that the abuses in the current
MP system have crossed a threshold, we can do something about it.  We can
develop an authenticated system (there would be a variety of ways to do
that, some wouldn't require any changes on the client side.)

So I think it's good to have an honest discussion of all these issues.  We
do currently have just one community MP system so it's fair to discuss how
that is used and abused.  But we have a free system here where it would be
quite easy for people on all sides of the issue to address their own
concerns by setting up their own servers and doing whatever they want to
with them.  I assume at the end of the day we'll have a majority of opinion
and I think we should steer our MP system in that direction, but those that
are highly offended by the majority view could very easily set up their own
system and do whatever they like with it.

Curt.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Stefan Seifert wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 October 2010 16:41:35 Mally wrote:
> > ?Forgive my ignorance, but what happens at the moment? Does nobody say
> > anything to the abusers? Doesn't peer pressure, good example and setting
> > guidelines present a more realistic solution (realistic by comparison
> with
> > what happens in real world aviation I mean) rather than coming up with an
> > automated system of blocking and control?
>
> Very sensible words. Technical solutions usually don't work for social
> problems.
>
> A simple word filter would not prevent me from offending people or even
> expressing death threats. It would probably not even prevent me from
> swearing
> excessively in German. It might on the other hand prevent me from simply
> talking to people. As an example: "jap" may be an offending reference to a
> Japanese (as on Curt's word list), but also simply be the German form of
> "yep". A word I use daily.
>
> Social problems are best solved by social solutions. In a friendly,
> welcoming
> and helping society foul language and threats usually don't come that far.
>
> For death threats, there are even more severe means available. Those are
> illegal in pretty much any country I know of and would result in immediate
> prison to protect the victim. The state simply cannot be sure if the
> offender
> might really do it.
>
> Stefan

Curtis Olson: