On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Jack Mermod wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
> I recently was on Multiplayer, flying with a friend, minding my own
> business, when another pilot asked a general newbie question: "Where can I
> find the Nimitz?". In only good intent, I replied: "Look around the Golden
> Gate Bridge, you'll find it eventually." The pilot then proceeded to
> criticize my short answer(typing long detailed replies isn't easy when
> you're trying to land on a carrier), and soon began insulting me, using
> foul, profane language, and finally proceeded to threaten to come to my
> house and kill me and my family.(I'm 68 and I even learned some things!)
<snip>

I thought you were 24 (based on your forum profile)?

One fairly easy option would be to filter MP chat messages in nasal
based on a set
of unnacceptable words. We could do this on the receiving client and simply
not display such messages. I've been thinking this would be a good idea to
make the FG MP environment more child-friendly anyway.

I'd also be tempted to filter on the sending client as well, and not
allow a message
to be sent with such content. This would at least notify the sender of the
standard of language we expect, though they could bypass it fairly easily
if they hacked the Nasal.

Probably the biggest challenge would be finding a GPL list of naughty words. I
haven't yet done any research so see if such a list exists. One feels that this
must be a problem other chat systems have had to solve.

This won't stop the problem completely but might discourage such behaviour.

-Stuart