I'd like to let everyone know that I just finished a project assigning
each aircraft model/cockpit a number between 0 and 10 indicating the
visual level of quality of the cockpit. The results can be found in the
forum here:

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10080

Why did I do this?
==================

My prime reason is that this is information I would like to have as a
Flightgear user. Faced with 400+ aircraft, I was often annoyed to download
one and see that it was basically unfinished in spite of the official
status indicator. Eventually I gave up and stuck with the few aircraft I
knew well - which means that I completely missed some truly great
aircraft. To give an example, I think the Pipers (pa-22-160,
pa24-250-CIII,...) are really great models with lots of attention on the
proper handling of the on-board systems - and I only found them just now
(and am enjoying them since).

I did not do the list to en- or discourage developers. If an aircraft is
still under development, and it scores low in visual detail, there is no
shame in that - a low score means nothing but 'needs more developement'.
More explanations and disclaimers in the forum.

What do the numbers mean?
=========================

Roughly, anything below 5 means that it isn't really finished and that I
think they should be alpha status. 7 and 8 are really nice cockpits, and 9
an 10 usually create a spontaneous  'wow!'.

What does the list represent?
=============================

On face value, the list represents my partially subjective, partially
objective judgement of the visual quality of a cockpit.

After having made it however, there appears to be more to it. There is
usually a correlation between the level of detail of the modelling of
systems and procedures and the level of visual detail in the cockpit -
realistic procedures require more gauges and buttons, and immediately the
cockpit increases in detail. About the weakest correlation in this respect
is the Concorde, which is very detailed in procedures and in modelling
systems, but scores only a 5 in visual detail. Usually, the correlation is
way better.

There is also a (weaker) correlation between visual quality of the cockpit
and the FDM - planes with great cockpits tend to have at least a better
than average FDM. I think that's because developers who spend long time
researching cockpit photographs usually don't ignore the FDM.

The list is unfair in the sense that there are planes with really great
and well-tuned FDMs which don't score too high on the visual detail. The
problem is that it is impossible to make a similar list for the FDM
quality for all 400+ aircraft in a finite amount of time. But I think all
in all the list does tend to draw attention to the aircraft Flightgear can
be really proud of.

What do I want to do with it?
=============================

Basically nothing - it's up to the community what to do with the numbers
and thumbnails. Options which have at one point or the other mentioned and
discussed in the forum range from doing nothing nothing via creating a
Wiki page using the numbers or introducing options on the download website
and in fgrun to sort aircraft acccording to the rating all the way to
structuring the FGData on GIT according to status.

I clearly can forsee useful applications, but I consider my work done at
this point, and it's not up to me to decide if e.g. any sorting scheme for
aircraft downloads is useful or not.

* Thorsten