On 12/23/2010 05:33 AM, Dave L wrote:

> At the moment, the spoken ATIS makes little sense anyway since the
> phaseology was corrected a while ago but the extra words were not
> recorded.

Well, actually the needed words are available.  Long ago I wrote a
script to run the words through the festival synthesizer, all in a
batch, to produce the .wav data and .vce index.

To work properly, atis.cxx needs not only the standard ATIS phraseology
but also the /names/ of the ATIS/AWOS sites (usually but not necessarily
airports).  If you include the names of all US airports, the .vce file
has more than 2300 entries and the .wav file is more than 30 megabytes.

One begins to wonder whether some of the place-names should be loaded
on a tile-by-tile basis (like scenery) rather than in one big chunk.

> Maybe if you have a text-to-speech system set up it works properly,
> but I assume most people downloading the new release will not have
> that setup by default.

Agreed.  Getting TTS to work "live" (as opposed to batch) is way more
trouble than ordinary users are willing to put up with.

> I am hoping to record the extra words next week during the holiday

I can send you the words and/or the script I used to synthesize them.

> and port the ATIS over to Durk's new ATC/AI system.

That would be a Good Thing.  Right now ATC/trafficcontrol.cxx contains
about 1000 lines of code, whereas ATC/atis.cxx contains only 1 line
of code (and no real functionality).

There is a set of users for which the priorities are reversed, in
the sense that ATIS/AWOS is 1000 times more important than anything
trafficcontrol.cxx is going to say.

As you know, there are no currency requirements for listening to ATCT
controllers ... whereas there are important currency requirements
for instrument approaches, and (with or without a Tower) it is hard
to shoot the approach without ATIS information such as weather,
altimeter, approach-in-use, et cetera.

==================

Constructive suggestion:  If you're going to port something, you
might as well start from
  http://gitorious.org/~jsd/fg/sport-model/commits/atis

It contains some minor fixes (to get rid of warnings etc.) and
also splits the vocabulary words into a file of their own, to
make it easier on the guy who

AFAICT ./configure --enable-atcdcl has never done anything useful.
If it is enabled, the code is compiled and linked in ... but not
called.

That means that in current versions of FGFS, the ATIS feature is
really quite broken (not just disabled).  Some sort of fix (or
port) would be a significant improvement.