On 01/04/2011 05:51 PM, Dave L wrote:

> I've reverted to the previous behaviour for that property, which means that
> inches are used globally by default, and if the user sets that property then
> millibars are used everywhere except US and Canada.  I realise that that
> means that the incorrect units are used in most countries by default,
> whereas your code used the correct units in most countries by default, but
> as far as I can tell FG's altimeter setting dialog and most (all?) of the
> knollsman windows only have inches, regardless of worldwide location of the
> airplane, so I didn't want to upset the current behaviour so close to a
> release.

I agree with all that.  I apologize for not thinking enough about
the compatibility issues.

> I'll put it back after the release anyway, to encourage
> millibar/hectapascal support :-)

How about this for an idea:  We define a new property
   /sim/atc/use-inhg
to exist alongside
   /sim/atc/use-millibars
with the following specification:
 -- You always get the "native" format for your locale.
 -- You always get the format called for by the properties
  mentioned above.
 -- If this means you get *both* the altimeter setting (inHg)
  *and* the QNH (millibars), so be it.  That's a feature.

I further suggest that if we make /sim/atc/use-inhg true by default,
at least for now, then we can code it this way before the release.
There is an upside and no downside.

The idea of having ATIS speak *both* formats (when requested) means
instrument designers are _able_ to switch without being _required_
to switch, which is the way I like to do things.

Or ... does somebody have a better suggestion?