From: Stuart Buchanan [mailto:stuar...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:29 PM
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Cc: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] .."IP" and litigation risks, was: AH-1 Merge
Request

Curt wrote:
> So why aren't we *removing* all our existing uses of the redbull logo ...
or at least the ones that I can find in 2 seconds?  None of the people who
are saying Jack can't submit his helicopter with a redbull livery are saying
anything about the 2 aircraft and several scenery database models that
clearly also use the redbull logo and have existed in our sim for years.

IMO we should do just that (and they shouldn't have been included in the
first place). I had forgotten about them when I wrote my first email on this
subject, otherwise I would have suggested they be removed as well.  We
should be consistent.

However given that there us such disagreement on this subject I'm not going
to unilaterally remove them.

I think by far the best option is to wait to see what comes out of the
request that someone on the forums made to RB. Assuming they reply that will
provide clarification one way or the other.

> This smells strongly of a case where we like our policy better when it's
applied to others and not ourselves.  I'm not saying there isn't some
logical explanation that I'm totally missing, I'm just saying what it smells
like to me.

Yes, you've said so twice. I think I've answered why I do not think that is
the case and given an explicit example where the same standards have been
applied to my own work. I'd like to think that you had a slightly higher
opinion of my motives :)

I have a policy of always assuming the best of intentions in others, even if
I disagree with them. It's a great way to avoid getting worked up about
things.

-Stuart