On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:20:58 +0200, Geoff wrote in message
<1302873658.8552.1.camel@DELL02>:

> Hi Arnt,

> > ..idea for makefg-1.3.0: WEUSESYSTEMPLIB=1, WEUSESYSTEMOSG=1
>
> Already thought of, and done ;=))

..aaaaaha, I was in an hurry and wondering a wee bit too much
about all these newfangled complexities since last time. ;oD

> For all the recent versions there are options -
>
> PLIBPATH=<path>
> OSGPATH=<path>

..these would point to libplib-dev and libopenscenegraph-dev for
building, and to libplib1 and libopenscenegraph71 at run-time?
Or are we static enough to stay with *-dev fire-'n-forget style?
arnt@celsius:~/FG-git$ dpkg -l |grep plib |fmt -tu
ii ftplib3 3.1-1-8 Library of callable ftp routines
ii libplib-dev 1.8.5-5 Portability Libraries: Development package
ii libplib-doc 1:1.8.5-3 Portability Libraries: documentation and
examples
ii libplib1 1.8.5-5 Portability Libraries: Run-time package
ii python-httplib2 0.6.0-4 comprehensive HTTP client library written
   for Python
arnt@celsius:~/FG-git$ dpkg -l |grep openscene |fmt -tu
ii libopenscenegraph-dev 2.9.11-1 3D scene graph, development files
ii libopenscenegraph65 2.8.3-7 3D scene graph, shared libs
ii libopenscenegraph71 2.9.11-1 3D scene graph, shared libs
ii openscenegraph 2.9.11-1 3D scene graph, utilities and examples
   (binaries)
ii openscenegraph-doc 2.9.11-1 3D scene graph, documentation
ii openscenegraph-examples 2.9.11-1 3D scene graph, examples (sources)
arnt@celsius:~/FG-git$

> Which should do what you ask, but I have NEVER installed
> PLIB nor OSG into a 'standard' system path, so have
> never tried these options in that case, but they should
> work...
>
> That is why the only relevant thing I get is 'openal'
> when I run things like -
> "for i in openal plib openscene simgear \
> flightgear ; do dpkg -l |grep $i ;done |fmt -tu "

..the output please, so we know I understand your openal story. ;o)

> I have used, and tested them when I do _NOT_ want
> to download and build yet another of these 2, thus
> when building in say ~/fg/fg14, I can reuse say
> my builds in ~/fg/fg12/install/[plib|osgvers]...
>
> And likewise there are options -
> BOOSTPATH=<path>
> BOOSTLIBS=<path>
> to point to where BOOST is either installed or
> 'staged' (not built or installed)...

..and they are set once makefg finds boost?

> And a very, _VERY_ important one these days :-
> FGDATADIR=<path>
> to _NOT_ re-clone this massive block multiple
> times ;=)) time and space...

..amen, does it default to install/fgfs/fgdata,
I see makefg suggesting build/fgfs/fgdata ???

> However, at present you have to do MANUAL updates
> of such sources if the path is outside the 'root'
> build... and I think it will stay that way...
>
> As you may have learned, once a build completes
> successfully, some 'configuration' information is
> written to ~/bin/makefg-<version>.conf file, so you
> do _NOT_ have to remember to re-input such paths when
> it is run again, again, and again...

..I have now, like I said, I was wondering
a wee bit too much. ;o)

> Of course, with care you can manually adjust this
> 'conf' file... but it is easy to mess up the simple
> parsing that is done... so not particularly
> recommended ;=()

..we'll find out. ;o)

> And that is why there is a option NO_CONF, to tell the
> script to ignore any 'configuration' file information,
> when you want to really 'change' the setup
> drastically...
>
> Lots of options ;=)) over 80-90 at last count...
>
> Regards,
> Geoff.

..means we have around 80! to 90! new ways to crash 'n
burn in the back-to-the-drawing-board "routine." ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: