On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:56:38 +0200, David wrote in message
<banlktimbxl03ofww5qsvqoygszwybhs...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi developers,
>
> I have a new computer, installed FG on it and have a problem with the
> graphics.
>
> The problem (beside missing runway lights) is that surfaces generated
> by a shader will flicker. This applies to terrain and aircraft
> instruments, trees and the "Crop texture" however do not flicker. The
> flicker disapears when I switch off "Material shaders" in the
> "Rendering" menu. It seems not to appear everywhere, but only if
> custom scenery is near. When I tested today, it didn't happen at
> airports which do not have any buildings.
>
> You find screenshots here:
> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11686.

..first, try take the same screenshots with today's fg-git,
the shaders _may_ have been fixed since you shot your shots.

> I would appreciate any help.

..I suspect FG shader bugs not properly supporting ATI hardware,
most if not all FG developers have Nvidea graphics on closed
source nvidea drivers and noton GPL nouveau, a quick test can
be done with Knoppix: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html

..I'd like to see what happen when you do exactly the same things
in FG as you did here, but running your box on Knoppix and installing
the same FG in your Knoppix session.
http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html

..if you don't wanna touch your disks, run Knoppix in ramdisk and
install the same version FG into your ramdisk session and then try
take the same screenshots as you did on Wintendo and ATI's drivers.
(Usb sticks and SD etc flash cards are other possible options.)

..boot it with 'knoppix toram ' and see what happens, if that
fails to do what we want, try e.g. 'knoppix toram xmodule=ati ',
more ideas to try append to the boot command:
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

.."xmodule"'s I'd like to see compared, is radeon, radeonhd,
and ATI's own fglrx, and on Nvidea's, nvidea and nouveau.

..note that you _may_ have to use knoppix64 to boot a 64bit
kernel on a 64bit cpu, and knoppix32 or somesuch to boot a
32bit kernel on 32bit cpus, I'm not up to date on current
knoppix boot cheatcodes.  _Play_around_. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: