On Thu, 26 May 2011 12:40:46 +0200, Erik wrote in message
<1306406446.1743.1.camel@Raptor>:

> On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 10:52 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 May 2011 08:57:18 +0200, Erik wrote in message
> > <1306393038.2534.1.camel@Raptor>:

> > > Darn, I did go to great lengths to develop a flight computer
> >
> > ..can it crash|bluescreen|"departure" like the real one did
> > in a few cases?
>
> Neh that was the F-22 :-)

..we (RNoAF) lost a few F-16's in the late 1980ies thru 1990ies,
at least one fatal "departure" and one that got out in time.

..another 2 has been downed by canopy bird strikes, tough but
un-notable birds up here. ;o)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon

..googling, I also found these reports on NASA's AFTI F-16 experiment:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87955main_H-1206.pdf
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87970main_H-1213.pdf
http://www.csl.sri.com/users/rushby/anomalies.html
http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~tamas/files/CEP05KevBal_web.pdf

> > to prevent these conditions for the F-16.. :-)
> >
> > ..a _very_ small number of men survived because they were able
> > to get at least one of their hands off the stick or throttle
> > and onto that black and yellow ejection handle.  _Hard_ to do
> > in a F-16 going low and fast into a tumble.
>
> For those who didn't know, the F-16 has angle of attack and G limiters
> to always be able to control the aircraft. This sometimes works
> against the pilot but in most cases it saves some lives.

..the F-16 is statically unstable and needs to be flown by
computers which 1; slaps it around to keep the plane inside
its flight envelope, and 2; responds to the pilot's stick etc
input on "where do we want to go today."  Crash those flight
control computers, and "wild ride" gets a new meaning. ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: