Hi,

On Wednesday, December 21, 2011 21:25:11 Csaba Halász wrote:
> Seems to be gone now :)
Ok. So, still I could not easily reproduce...

> Any comments for my other question, about background model loading?
Well, models *are* loaded in the background. More than it was in the good old
times where just the scenery tiles were loaded in the background, but not the
aircraft/multiplayer/ai models.
The only thing that I can observe with model loading is tht the nvidia binary
driver takes a long time to generate mipmaps. This still happens in the main
thread. And this is something we leave to the driver which is IMO the best way
to handle this since the driver should know how to do that best.
I thought for a long time that the hardware could not do better, also since
the binary ATI driver takes even longer to upload and build the textures. But
since some time I just use the open source ati driver here and I could see how
fast texture upload and rendering mipmaps could happen. So, I am not sure if I
would recomment the open source driver variants for ati today. In fact they
still have various merrits and the performance is not as good as the closed
source drivers performance. But at least texture upload does *not* take long
time here - with the same hardware where it takes up to seconds with fglrx...
May be we can do something here also, but not for the current release cycle
and probably not for fgfs core.

So, merry christmas!

Mathias