Martin Spott wrote:

> 2.) Merging custom land cover data (like John Holden's great work) into
>    the "Custom Scenery" layer (at MapServer) had been failing in some
>    cases due to topological inconsistencies.  I expect these failures
>    to disappear with topologically clean vector data.

Finally 3.) As soon as the various tools are working in a predictable
manner, I'm planning to revive the central idea, the driving motivation
behind all the effort, which is to build an infrastructure for
re-compiling the respective terrain tiles on a regular, maybe daily
schedule after the land cover has been updated in a certain region.

Having a stable and reliable procedure to clean the vector data is one
of the vital requirements for such an adventure, therefore I'm quite
excited today ....

Cheers,
        Martin.