On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:29 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Adrian Musceac wrote:
>
> > That's great news. I'm curious, what kind of elevation data are you using
> > for
> > the new terrain?
>
> In general I think I'll try to use the best I can get under a GPL-
> compatible license  ;-)
>
> > SRTMv3 by any chance?
>
> Well, one day I'll have to make a decision but beforehand the most
> pressing item on my TODO list is to get the land cover right.
>
> Which "SRTMv3" are you having in mind ?  The only "SRTMv3" I know is
> the first version of CGIAR's void-filled SRTM v2.1 dataset - which,
> btw., has a "no commercial use"-clause in its terms of use.  The same
> applies to CGIAR v4 and v4.1.
> Anyhow, nowadays there's no shortage of alternative supplements to fill
> the voids in SRTM v2.1, therefore I feel quite relaxed wrt. the choice
> of DEM data.
>
> Cheers,
>       Martin.

Martin,
I dont know if this is possible but due to the low resolution of hight
data available for my place of interest (Australia) I have been thinking
of using the contour layer of the available shape files from ga.gov.au

Several years ago I experimented with this using a script to build a
file for Fred's FGSD program and the results were quite promising
although I had issues as the old STRM data was already there.

The scenery that I did produce look very pleasing as the local cliffs
where all visible due to the 10m contouring in the shape files.

Maybe this might be an avenue to look at again.

Jason