thorsten

> I've noticed recently more or less by accident and to my dismay that
> model-default.eff is used both by models placed in the scenery and by
> typical aircraft 3d cockpits.
>
> This is rapidly looking like a bad idea when a more detailed atmosphere
> model enters the game - the terrain haze shader has altitude-differential
> fog, the sunrise/set code I'm working on has position-differential
> lighting and fog coloring.
>
> Models placed into the scene need essentially the same shader as the
> terrain and skydome, otherwise they don't blend properly - no choice here.
>
> However, half the visual field is typically taken by the cockpit, and the
> vertices and pixels of that don't really need to go through ~120 lines of
> differential fogging and lighting code just to discover that they get the
> default light at the position and no fog.
>
> One could probably write some provisions into the shader to make a
> distance check first and if the model is very close not to go through all
> the motions, but it seems more reasonable to me to do this on the level of
> the effect declarations and simply feed the 3dcockpit through a different
> default effect file which never tries to do any fogging in the first
> place.
>
> Would this be complicated to do (i.e. require changing all aircraft xmls),
> or is there an easy way to do this? I'm just testing the waters here... as
> far as I know none of the position differential shading code has been
> committed yet, but I'm sort of developing strongly into that direction,
> and I want to identify trouble as soon as possible...

If I understand this correctly, you want to change the default behaviour for
the scenery models while leaving the cockpit as is with the current default
behaviour? Does it also involve changing the behaviour of the non-cockpit
parts of the aircraft model?

At first glance this seems to be a huge task to modify each aircraft model,
but it might be automatable. I would think the work should lie where it
falls - if you want to change the default behaviour of scenery models do
just that and leave the aircraft alone.

Just some final thoughts - what is the framerate cost of this enhancement?
And with Project Rembrandt waiting in the wings is this worth doing at this
stage at all? I take it that whatever you do it is not for the upcoming
release?

Vivian