> I don't think you want to be changing the behaviour for all cockpits,
> just
> the one that is your aircraft.  For other aircraft (AI/MP), you want
> them to fade
> etc. just like the scenery and the rest of the aircraft model.

We seriously show cockpits over MP?? I actually wouldn't want to show them
at all for distances where it matters if they would be fogged or not -
some LOD animation should eliminate them long before...

> Alternatively, are you not already determining the distance of the
> object from the
> viewer? Can you now simply put an if() test around this, or are there
> fragment shader implications as well?

It would also affect the fragment shader to some degree. But yes, one can
in principle also do an 'if' statement, it's just one of these things
which strike me as bad design, probing for 1000 vertices 30 times per
second if the cockpit is still nearby...

* Thorsten