Am 04.03.2012 19:00, schrieb Stefan Seifert:
> But whenever talking about git rebase one should mention that THOU SHALT NOT
> rebase a branch which you've ever pushed. Because if someone ever pulled your

What I always do, before pushing an update for the "next" branch is:

git checkout next
git pull
git rebase origin/next

(likewise works with "master" or other branches).

This rebases my local "next" branch - and places all my local changes on
top of the history of the remote "next" branch (= origin/next). Also,
this cannot change any history being already part of the published
remote - since anything pushed to the server is already in
"origin/next", which remains unaltered (it's the "base").

> branch (which happens with a simple git pull from the main repo), his get gets
> confused by the changed history.

If someone managed to mess up the published history, he wouldn't be able
to push to our gitorious repository though. Pushing a "change of
history" requires a "forced push", which is disabled for our gitorious
repos. It's not a mistrust in anyone's git skills, but just to be really
safe ;-).

cheers,
Thorsten