Am 03.03.2012 12:43, schrieb Christian Schmitt:
>> Stuart Buchanan wrote:
>> >  IMO we should bite the bullet and get it into "next" this week if
>> >  possible.  There's obviously some risk to our 6 month release
>> >  schedules that we'll just have to accept.
> I agree here. Let's merge the Rembrandt work into next so that every git
> user has to work with it, can find glitches and adapt shaders. There are
> people holding back their shader improvements in anticipation of Rembrandt.
> We have to merge it anyway sooner or later. Now, the likeliness of conflicts
> is lower and the speed of development will be faster.

Just be sure the new concept will work for everyone, even for the
majority not owning the latest high-end GPU, e.g there is an option to
disable, reduce load/quality etc.

Also, the project is quite good in finding issues, once new stuff is in
git. But, generally we are not so good in fixing problems then.
Notoriously, everyone has just too little spare time ;-), so a lot of
issues just starve in the tracker. And with hard-core OSG stuff, there's
even fewer people than usual who could help anyway.

So, make an honest estimate of how much work is really left, including
fixing reported issues, and whether you have the time to complete this
in the next months. Or whether you maybe need to bail out in a few weeks
for personal reasons, and we might be getting stuck (your
wife/girlfriend isn't pregnant or something? :-D ).

If we are certain that everything will be well and stable within
"reasonable amount of time", then it should go into "next". Otherwise,
we should think about maintaining separate branches (one of the main
advantages of git anyway). Indeed, the latter would probably mean it
would not be part of the August release. The key question is: would it
be ready?

cheers,
Thorsten