Thorsten wrote:

> > I think that is what we have for now.  You can do better by increasing
> > your shadow map size to 8192 or 16384, but at the 16384 resolution my
> > performance goes into the tank, and at 8192, there are still many
> > shadow artifacts due to lack of resolution.  (clearly
> > blocky/xelated/aliasing edges, something that looks like z-buffer
> > fighting for objects further way, etc.)  Hopefully this will improve
with
> future tuning.
>
> Okay, just to be sure, I've now also compared what I see to the IAR-80 on
> Vinson video by Fred and to the Cub flying around Kufstein video by HHS.
I'm
> seeing a number of issues:
>
> 1) The shadows around the aircraft have a ragged egde. That I understand
is
> a function of the shadow map size. I can't go beyond 4096, I get an error
on
> the console trying to go higher - but 4096 works fine with acceptable
> framerates, the edge is just a limit of my GPU and that is okay.
>
> 2) I see shadows flickering (I tried the Cub cockpit for comparison) when
I'm
> in level flight where they shouldn't move - the effect is a bit like a
shadow
> cast by a candle flickering in the wind. In Heiko's video that is
sometimes
> visible (he doesn't fly straight much, and when the shadows actually move
> the effect is masked). I've never seen it in Fred's videos - is it not
there, or
> just not in the video? Personally, I find that flickering maddening - I've
ended
> my test flight after 5 minutes because I was starting to get a headache.
>
> 3) On my box, all three panels in the screen edges show the same image -
> not so on Fred's videos - is this the intended behaviour?
>
> 4) Fred's IAR-80 video has the camera circling around an IAR-80 parked on
the
> Vinson. I tried to do this as well, but for me the effect comes out very
> differently. The amount of shadow I see depends on the angle of the view
> axis with the sunlight direction - under some angles I see dark shadows,
> under some angles I see no shadows at all whereas in the video the shadows
> behave as expected, i.e. they stay the same independent of view angle.
> Under some angles (sun in my back) I also get a whiteout of bright
textures. I
> haven't seen this issue in any of the videos, but it likewise looks very
> unrealistic - I watch an object, and as I overfly it, the shadow goes
away...

The disappearing shadow was caused by the sun camera and range animation and
was fixed a while back - can you confirm that you are using the very latest
fg/sg/fgdata? And it's probably worth checking that you have the very latest
nVidia drivers. It looks to me as if you are pushing the very limits of your
GPU; I think you might have to accept that you are not going to be able to
use the added facilities provided by Rembrandt.

Vivian

Vivian