Hello Thorsten,

Somehow I don't like the way this discussion is going.

> You had a worst of 27 in your list
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/stagger-data.htm
> running everything and were unhappy. Now a stable worst of 24 makes you
> happy?

The facts are:

-it isn't that much important if you have 20fps or 60fps. But it is more
important that the framerates are   stable  !!!
In the moment I can see stutters which interrupts the simulation
every <1-2 seconds for even about between one, two second. In this time I
always loose control about an aircraft and autopilot begins to play crazy.
Maybe I'm able to create a diagram showing Latency/Framerates in Advanced
Weather. Though my computer is not the newest one, I would expect a much better
behavior.

-Advanced weather is indeed a high fidelity weather simulation. Together with
the shaders, and especially lightfield shader, we get a very good simulation of
the atmosphere already, which is needed for a more realistic simulation of
flight.  So due to this it is clear that it needs a bit more perfomance than
other stuff in FGFS. But this doesn't explain those stutters.

-Everyone here is impressed by the outcome. Everyone would like to use it.
Compared with X-Plane or MSFS we can really be proud to have such thing!
And say thank you for this contribution! So your hard work you did is highly
appreciated by everyone.

Here are people who does have enough experience and knowledge about Project
FlightGear and its codes and especially nasal which should be taken seriously.
That does not mean, that your opinions are not taken serious. It is quite the
opposite.

But I do see a wish by many developers and users to have both weathers
combined, and even more important working without any stutters. And this means
that some parts of your code maybe needs some overhaul. Even we do know that
you have worked on the code in the best manner to have it fast as possible.

Vivian wrote:
>> "Optimising" code is bad. You might make it better for your system,
>> but make it worse for everyone else. OSG/OpenGL do a pretty good job
>> all
>> by themselves

vs

Thorsten wrote:
> Optimizing code is badly needed. OSG/OpenGL don't do a pretty good job
> all by themselves for sufficiently complex tasks and that's a fact -
> been there, seen it - Advanced Weather without any optimization would
> drive you to single digit framerates no matter what system you run
> easily. It's all nice that you get enough framerate out of the water
> shader and can affort to compute cloud coverage in the shader per frame > per
> pixel, but those of us not running high end machines would like to
> run it as well, and I am
> glad I figured out a way to make it 50%
> faster for me.

You said it already: Optimizing code is badly needed. And optimizing can be
done in many ways. The pure nasal code can just be optimized, or the algorithm
can be hardcoded somewhere, or etc....
No idea if OSG/OpenGL is really the limiting factor.

What Vivian wanted to say is, that something that works on your computer does
not automatically must on other computers. As much as I know he has now a
pretty good and strong computer.
And I don't know what you do understand on "high end machines".
Today we have to seperate between computers with many powerful cores, but weak
inboard graphiccards; computers with single or just duo cores with low rates,
but strong, higher graphic cards; or such machines where you have the best of
all.

You can see it yourself: Advanced Weather is running fine on your system, but
you have big troubles with rembrandt.
On my system it is quite the opposite: advanced weathers gives me unusuable
stutters, but rembrandt is really fine doing.

Maybe we should handle this more like in our bug tracker:

Unusable stutters with Advanced Weather
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. take any aircraft and start from any airport
2. select advanced weather
3. watch Latency and framerates
Expected is a stable framerate, maybe with lower framerates than without
advanced weather. Instead we get stutters which occurs every 1-2 seconds or
even less, with pauses about 1-2 seconds. It is undependant of direction of
view (cloudy parts vs non cloudy parts) and gets worse the more clouds are
beeing generated.

At least Optimizing code to try to prevent such issues feels for me like
healing the symptoms, but not healing the real cause, whatever this might be.

Cheers
Heiko

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html