> > So, was there a reason we texture and fog during the first pass and
> > should I see any unexpected side effects, or can I simply use the
> > trivial shaders and get my 12% framerate?
>
> The main reason to render textures at this stage is that textures
> with transparency do change the fragments that are rendered. Calculating
> the fog color seems wrong, but I don't have the sources in front of
> me and gitorious is acting up.

For instance, drawing the bridges without textures will show a wall instead of
the suspension chain, the strands and the iron structure. I had the same
problem rendering to the shadow map. So you won't see a boat behind through
the structure or between the strands if you don't render the alpha-tested
transparency embedded inside textures.

Regards,
-Fred