Sorry for the no-op posting, I acidentally sent the unmodified
buffer ....

Moin Yves,

ys wrote:

> [...], it's just in responsability of the core developers to show how
> "2nd-row" developers can help to improve apt.dat without being
> blocked by a deprecated.

I tend to disagree.

You're probably asking for a recipe on how to square a circle  ;-)
According to my experience there's little chance to establish a
procedure having the potential to stand real practise without a couple
of wise guys making terrible noise, claiming they're "blocked".

Therefore I think trying to guide "2nd-row developers" is a waste of
time in most cases.  If you look back in the archives of The Forum then
you'll find a lot of postings written by myself, followed in sequence
by someone opposing loudly, advocating stuff I've already tried myself
and which failed miserably.  Someone even blamed me for lying after
reporting my tests results.  Isn't this bizarre ?

How many people do you think are on The Forum, having a credible
interest in building consistent, coherent Scenery for FlightGear ?
I don't know how many they are, but my expectations are pretty low.
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for this, I just want to point
out why I think that blaming "core developers" for not guiding the
"2nd-row developers" isn't the proper approach.

>From my perspective the only chance for establishing v8.50 lies in
supporting the development of the respective dependencies.  Recent
improvements in TerraGear look very promising but I doubt that swapping
the *global* "apt.dat" files is wise util there's a proof that building
*global* Scenery is possible - including really dense regions and areas
beyond 80 degree north and south.

<sarcasm>Fortunately there will be wide acceptance for Scenery based on
v8.50 airports because a lot of people will simply 'buy' it, no matter
how ugly it is, as long as it carries the "v8.50" tag  ;-)  </sarcasm>

Cheers,
        Martin.