On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:33:30 +0700, Ivan wrote in message
<86628si18l....@gray.siamics.net>:

> […]
>
>  >> I'm glad it works for you (personally, I haven't managed to get
>  >> any use of machine translation),
>
>  > ..ooookay???? 8o)  This: ...
>
>  >
> http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=no&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flightgear.org%2Fabout%2F
>
>  > ... is a fairly good Norwegian machine translation of
>  > http://flightgear.org/about/ , it's not too bad grammatically,
>
>       Unfortunately, I'm in no position to check it.

..I know the pain, I understand only a few Russian words.

>  > what's your opinion of this Russian machine translation?:
>
>  >
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=ru&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flightgear.org%2Fabout%2F
>
>       Well, it's pretty good.  For a machine translation, that is.
> A few passages are flawless, and a few ones are screwed up beyond
>       all recognition.  Consider, e. g. (I've translated a few back
> to English):
>
>     FlightGear is an open source code of a simulator.  It supports
> many popular platforms […] and are [sic] developed by the qualified
>     volunteers from all around the world.  The source code for the
> whole project is available and licensed under GNU Public License of a
>     chief.
>
>     The goal of the FlightGear project for creation of sophisticated
> and open frames a simulator for use in scientific research and
> academic environment, […]
>
>     FlightGear is a free project a simulator of flight.  […]
>
>       (There're numerous agreement [1] errors that I haven't taken
> the liberty to translate into English, too.)

..those errors are spectacular, compared to the Norwegian translation,
Google's engine is better at this than the average high school student.

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreement_(linguistics)
>
>  >> but it doesn't quite answer my question, which is: are the
>  >> FlightGear project's Web pages free (as in freedom)?  More
>  >> specifically, can we use a fragment of the Introduction [2] page
>  >> as the basis for our note about FlightGear?
>
>  > .."it depends" ;o), the fair use clause in US copyright law gives
>  > you the right to copy "some parts" and incorporate them into your
>  > own Russian or satirical etc introduction to FG, which will then
>  > come under _your_ copyright, _as_ you write it, or, under your
>  > translator's copyright if your translator writes it at his own
>  > expense and on his initiative.
>
>       Well, as many other projects related to free software, the
>       Software Freedom Day preparation effort is driven mostly by
> the volunteers.
>
>       When it comes to “fair use”, it was my understanding that the
>       rule of the thumb is that the “some parts” incorporated should
>       be small enough in relation to the newly-authored text.
>       Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to apply for the “derived
> work” being discussed.

..I the 3-digit Groklaw'er may have lost you here but that's
irrelevant. ;o)

..errr, guys, are we now GPLv3?????  http://www.flightgear.org/about/
states: "Source code for the entire project is available and licensed
under the GNU General Public License.", where the "GNU General Public
License." link points to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html which
again states "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE  Version 3, 29 June 2007".

..either way, that must also be license of the text of the
http://flightgear.org/about/, since this About text is part
of "the entire project".

..at the bottom, it says "Read the Finnish translation of this page.",
pointing to http://www.designcontest.com/show/about-flightgear-fi which
states "Source: http://www.flightgear.org/about/ ", which would satisfy
_any_ relevant version of the GPL.

..so, I'll draw the conclusion you can and should do likewise, and
post your url to your translation, here, so it can be put on the
http://www.flightgear.org/about/ so we can get "Read the Russian
translation of this page." too in its proper place. :o)

> […]
>
>  >>>> Our author has translated a paragraph or so of the Introduction
>  >>>> [2] page into Russian to use it as the basis for such a note,
>  >>>> only to discover later that there's no statement allowing for
>  >>>> such a use on that page.
>
>  > ..guys, given the somewhat fluid state of laws and law enforcement
>  > in the relevant jurisdictions, I recommend giving an explicit
>  > permission to use FG web pages as basis for the Russian
>  > Introduction,
>
>       Ideally, the pages'd be licensed under a “free” license,
>       explicitly allowing for derivative works.
>
> […]
>
>  >>>> [2] http://flightgear.org/about/

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: