On 8 Oct 2012, at 14:35, Alan Teeder wrote:
> The HSI is now stable, but does not agree with the other compasses. Is there
> a gyro alignment procedure that I need to learn?

Yes. It's one of the pilot's duties as part of the pre-start checklist
;-). Also something which needs to be done every 10-15 minutes when in
flight, since the indication continuously drifts away. See here:
http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/di.htm

When the sim starts (or is reset), the initial indication should be
aligned with the compass though. However, when the gyro isn't powered,
the indication will be wrong as soon as the aircraft turns (offset).
The HSI has a knob to adjust the indicator (see C172 cockpit), but it
seems to missing in the Lightning.

cheers,
Thorsten