On Sun, 24 Feb 2013, Pat wrote:

>>> Anders made a suggestion on IRC I'm going to follow up on. " You can
>>> have local git clones that share the same .git/* files via file
>>> links"
>>
>> ..you feed 4 build trees from 1 git clone, how?
>> A "du -sch $git-n-build-trees" on them all?
>>
> I'm just learning how to work with git, one
> baby step at a time.  I'm sure the suggestion is valid.  My
> interpretation of it may not be.

What you want to do is a --local clone, e.g.:
git clone --local ~/FlightGear/build/SimGear/simgear.git

It creates hard links between the (or some) .git/* files in the new and
origin repositories. It only works if both are on the same file system.

I'm not sure if the repositories continue to share (new) changes when
these are fetched from upstream. If not you need to run git fetch or git
pull in first the local origin repository and then in the clone(s) to
propagate new changes.

Cheers,

Anders
Anders Gidenstam