On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 11:24:29 +0000
James Turner wrote:

> My *personal* feeling is that unless it's something the > 50% of users use
> *each flight*, it shouldn't be a keybinding. So flaps, trim, CDI/HSI heading,
> fine, but things to change view distance or FoV seem unnecessary to me.

Just sticking in my 2p worth... I would say I use z/Z almost every flight.  It
can be useful for "cheating", as Thorsten said, but more usually as a means of
adjusting performance.  Often airports are in or near very scenery-intensive
areas and reducing visibility can help a lot in making the sim run usably for
take-off, whereas once you're up and away it's nice to be able to open the view
back up again for cross-country flying.  Maybe if that happened automatically
somehow this would become unimportant, but for now I think a lot of people rely
on it.

I can't believe you're suggesting removing the FoV keybinding though!  I've
used that for "zoom" in 3d cockpits for about as long as we've had the things,
completely essential in my opinion.  I know it's not strictly speaking "zoom"
but it works, and is very quick and natural to use, too.

Could it be a mouse/joystick binding?  Yes - but these are much harder to
remember and differ widely on different setups.

Cheers,

AJ