I have a question to aircraft/cockpit modellers: Would a shader effect with the
equivalent of a grain texture be useful to you?

For the terrain, the grain texture is a semi-transparent overlay pattern of
grainy dots - which is superimposed on the normal texture at 25 times the
nominal resolution (so while a usual pixel on the terrain might be 4x4 m sized,
a pixel of the grain pattern is 16cm x 16 cm. This gives the appearance of a
texture resolution which is much higher than it actually is:

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18628#p173410

In cockpits, I often see many monochromatic surfaces. When I look at the panel
of my card, the plastic is monochromatic but has a fake leather pattern
imprinted. The roof of my car has a cloth structure. My computer has some
rhombus pattern imprinted. Metal surfaces often have some brush stroke
structure. All these things are literally screaming for an overlay texture, as
they are artificial repeating patterns and there is in fact no tiling problem
as in terrain shading - they can just be superimposed, creating
sub-millimeter-sized resolution on cockpit details at the expense of a single
texture lookup.

Now, I would offer to code a slot for a grain texture into the high-quality
model shader of Atmospheric Light Scattering, but since I am not a 3d modeller
and I suspect there are some issues with the uv-mapping which are a bit
different from the way terrain works, I would need someone from the model side
who is interested in exploring this idea.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

* Thorsten