Vivian:

> I don't want to download fgdata/fg/sg to find that I have to spend
> hours fixing up my work. I'd rather get on with my own stuff.

Your actions don't match your words. You're the remaining maintainer of the
water effect in default. Its environment interface still doesn't support
Advanced Weather. When you implemented it, it had zero communication with
Advanced Weather, I had to spend hours to figure out how it gets light and wind
info and then code a hack for Advanced Weather to make it work.

If this is a real concern to you - there has been a long weekend to get busy
and change the interface. Looking at GIT, you haven't done so and we're still
using the incomplete hack. Any plans to change that in the near future?

> I don't want to force developers to develop ac for one
> scheme/framework rather than another.

As pointed out for the 3rd time now, that is a hypothetical problem in ALS.
Only Rembrandt requires separate Rembrandt and no Rembrandt versions of
aircraft. Are you unable or unwilling to acknowledge that point?

> I don't want to force users to choose between a nice atmospheric
> effects or shadows, or anything else.

I think I have said about 5 times now that I am perfectly willing to contribute
to this, but I'm not doing it all on my own. I haven't seen you volunteer to
help out here. I haven't seen you arguing with Fred that he should take care to
help out. Somehow, it seems to be my fault.

Also - you can burn framerate only once, and I have stated my opinion on that
as well. My personal view is that OpenSource is about freedom, and freedom
implies choice. It's nothing bad to deliver a rendering scheme for low end GPUs
and one for high end GPUs and let the user pick, and I don't even see you
acknowledging that argument. I acknowledge that we probably have a fundamental
split of philosophy here: I see more merit in offering different choices to the
user (think Linux with KDE or Gnome - I see myself well backed up by OpenSource
tradition here) than in pre-selecting to the lowest common denominator we can
all agree on so that the user doesn't have to choose. You see this differently,
and we probably won't ever resolve this.

Vivian, I don't see this getting any more constructive, and I don't have the
impression that this is about me explaining to avoid a misunderstanding. I
don't see my arguments acknowledged, much less refuted. I don't see you willing
to take any action making the framework which you maintain accessible.

So I will not justify the reasons behind what I do to you any further, and
unless I see a constructive turn, I will also refrain from doing so in the
future.

Henri:

>  How could you say "you're both not even users of the scheme" ?
> Yes i had at the beginning done some screenshots with the Dome project,
> the period when i could use it without breaking others features.
> I was, even, able to combine the Effects with the dome by unlocking the
> conditions. To me the project was promising , until you engage to develop
> deeply.

As explained several times over, when the skydome used the default terrain
shaders, it produced glaring graphical artefacts. What I have done is the only
possible series of changes which could have fixed this.  I'm sorry you are
unable to understand that point, but maybe ask someone who does to explain it
to you in detail.

Otherwise, when I say 'you are not a user', I mean that I have a mail in my
inbox which is signed with your name from which I may quote the phrase
"introducing some unusable features like the atmospheric light scattering" -
which would appear to the English-speaking reader indicating  that you don't
use it.

> You pretend to be experienced and worry we don't use your know how, Emilian
> is
>  experienced and you rejected his know how.
> Would you say everybody but you is stupid.

I'm a scientist. I don't believe in persons. I don't believe in Emilian, TIm,
Fred or Mathias - I believe in verifiable facts and solid evidence. I believe
that each of these person knows much, but that likewise each of these can get
things wrong, and when anyone raises an issue, I make up my own mind by
thinking it through and testing it myself. I don't think everyone else is
stupid, but I do think everyone else can make mistakes just like me, and I have
a very long professional experience in recognizing and dealing with my own
mistakes.

To expect that I would take advice from anyone without looking at the hard
evidence available to me is unreasonable. I'm not impressed by titles, merits
and experience - I argue with Nobel-price winners just as with students if I
think they're wrong (I have done so on occasion).

You will be able to verify that in each and every case someone backs up his
critique with actual evidence which I can verify, I usually change my position
quickly. You will also see me in these cases publicly acknowledge that I was
wrong and crediting the person who corrected me. You will also be able to
verify that if I have contrary solid  evidence, I won't change my position no
matter who says anything to me.

And that's all there is to it. Back up what you say with evidence and insight,
and you'll find me easy to talk to. Make unverifiable claims, and you'll find
it very difficult.

> How could you say the Shadows system has come after ALS ?
>
> Looking  at the history  of Flightgear, i can notice the Shadows system
> was a  feature in the old time, i have got from GRTUX's database  ( inherited)
> some old snapshot with Shadows.

Yes, but it would seem you don't understand that Rembrandt is not primarily
about generating shadows but about deferred rendering. May look to you similar,
but is a completely different thing and is completely unrelated. Please ask
someone who understand deferred rendering to explain the difference to you.

I could likewise argue that there was a skydome in FG before shadows - same
issue: looks similar, but isn't.

> The modification to the aircraft to get it working is minor, i had to
> update our hangar it took only 1 hour to update our hangar (21  officials
> models + 12 non official ).

Yes, but the modification to get aircraft running under ALS is usually zero,
and yet everyone in this discussion sees it as a major problem. So it doesn't
really matter how long it takes in practice.

I would suggest that you take some time to get your facts organized before we
carry this discussion any further. If this is needed at all.

* Thorsten