Hello Arnt,
A quick reply with my phone  connected to a private server.

."mainframe???  Details, please."
right now  a 8 cores  AMD FX 8350 an ASROCK motherboard  populated With 32
GB Mem
Several hard disks with Raid 1
A SSD which takes the Linux System OPENSUSE 12.2

Everything in a huge box over powered.

.."which "NV 319.12" driver"

there the link:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/319.12/

.."are there other ALS-non-compliant models?"

Yes all of them from our hangar, when we can load ALS  with some usable FPS
and without crashing  :(

"..yes?  I'd like to see the commandlines and menu options you
used to create these screenshots so we can try reproduce them.
This _may_ e.g. be a driver bug on only your box."

I can't at the moment i can't give you the detail.
However,
we are commonly using .fgfsrc which point to a specific addon
preference.xml file within   HOME .fgfs directory

Which is the easiest way to get flexibility without carrying a lot of
--prop  at load..
Thus at command line ONLY  fgfs --aircraft=    --airport=  or --carrier=
and --parkpos=
That's done.

the screenshots are done with the FG embedded   tool ( F3 key)
I forgot to say we use to have FXAA antialiasing setting enabled

"..only these 2 screenshots are directly comparable to
the 3 test cases you present, so I'd like to see your
"Without ALS and With Rembrandt" version of these 2:"

yes you may refer to  the given ones
https://sites.google.com/site/grtuxhangarctd/other-download/P-38_demo7.png
or
https://sites.google.com/site/grtuxhangarctd/other-download/P-38_demo6.png

it is the same airport , but the Runway has changed ( metar ? )

"..does any of these compare the ALS vs Rembrandt vs default etc test
cases?  All I've seen there this far, are pretty screenshots"

 No,  like said we could never get good results with it.
The purpose of these snapshots is to show the best we could get from
Flightgear with our models.

Hope you will get the answers

Kind Regards

Ahmad