On 16 Aug 2013, at 09:25, Adrian Musceac <kanto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you'd use my new radio propagation code, which is an improvement over
> what's already in git, range would be as close to reality as possible for all
> type of radio comms, be they VHF voice, VOLMET, ACARS, ADS-B, VOR/DME, radar,
> etc. My code takes into account not only terrain obstruction, altitude,
> distance, but also frequency and standard equipment capabilities.
>
> Now, IMHO, for the future it would be desirable to integrate voice comms into
> Flightgear itself, without the need to use Asterisk or other external tools.
> Some other simulators have this as default, minus the realistic propagation
> of
> course.

Hmm, as far as I'm aware every other simulator and game which includes voice
comms does so via some kind of helper library (or process) - whether it be
TeamSpeak or Roger Wilco or whatever. I don't think the choice of VoIP
technology is really important so long as the price is right (free), it
supports our target platforms and is well maintained. Unfortunately iaxclient2
is a little lacking in the last part but at least it's open source so we can
hack on it.

(Of course right now the intergation between FlightGear and FGCom is a bit
ugly, but that's exactly what Clement's code fixes, once I merge it)

Having the centralised Asterix servers seems to work pretty well, and we've had
no problems (so far) finding someone to host them - a purely P2P solution would
be much more unreliable I think, in terms of NAT, people in different real-worl
locations talking in the same simulated location, and so on.

Of course getting the very accurate range modelling would be good, but it's
quite tricky to reconcile that with modelling frequencies as a conference call
- to be truly accurate we need each transmit / receive pair modelled as a
distinct audio stream in terms of signal effects (as I suspect your code is
capable of doing!), but that would either place massive loads on the server
(especially as number of concurrent clients in a room increases, e.g. KSFO GND
or BAY APPROACH), or bring us back to P2P solutions which are flaky.

All my opinion of course, but I've some experience with trying to do arbitrary
P2P between home connections (i.e NAT at both ends) and it very ugly to
support. I'm always amazed how trouble-free our iaxclient + Asterix solution is.

James