On 3 Sep 2013, at 16:57, Stefan Seifert <n...@detonation.org> wrote:

> I hope with the reorganization we don't lose the simpleness of doing a git
> pull to get the latest and greatest of all aircraft. Having to look for
> scattered repos would be a severe drawback.

The repos will be disjoint, but there will be automated ways (both GUI and
command-line based) to update from all of them. Indeed, the intent (and the
code is already in Simgear, but not used because there are no front-ends yet)
is to improve the situation of finding aircraft, because different hangars can
be searched (including by tags), the system is aware of which aircraft work /
do not work with your active FG version, and so on. The other major goal of the
system is to make the user-experience of dealing with aircraft installation
much better, so that users don't need to mess with Git, extracting tar files,
or aircraft search paths, in order to get aircraft not shipped in the base
package, or have to figure out if a particular zip is for FG 2.6, 2.8, or
whatever.

There's some other complementary steps which again are mostly in place but need
to be developed, again post 2.12.

James