> Hello Arnt:
>
> Thanks for following up for me. I am becoming to understand what this
all about now, but need to ensure I fully understand what you have said.

> I can run FG using OpenGL on a windows laptop, providing I run the
graphics card from a Knoppix CD.

> To do this, do I download software and save it on a CD myself, or, do
I have to buy the CD? I ask this as I have gone to the link of Knoppix
you gave me and there are Icons, one of which is a link to Mirrors to
download "something. Further down the page you have the KNOPPIX4.0.2 DVD
+ CD Released as the heading and I have seen that if one has the
bandwidth (I have ADSL) you can download it. Does this have to be
downloaded on to a CD/DVD? Is this the release of a few days ago?

> After this I am not sure where to go, as you mention to boot from the
CD, via the BIOS!!!.

> If you can direct me on this, hopefully I can get this in action very
soon. It is nice to know that the computers will not be affected, as
they undertake important work, I work on a very limited budget, prior to
my retirement this year.

> Thank Again And With Kind Regards
>
> Martin

Knoppix will let you test whether the graphics card in the laptop will
work with OpenGL and Flightgear. Unfortunately, it will not "fix" it in
any way that makes it work better in Windows.

That said, yes, you can download Knoppix yourself, you do not have to
buy the CD. Any recent release will probably tell you what you need to
know. There used to be a Flightgear specific bootable CD, but I don't
think it has been kept up to date recently (apologies if it has, please
speak up if you know different).

I use an old version (4) of EasyCD to burn ISO images when in Windows,
because it works. I suppose that Nero can do it as well but I have never
tried. Whatever software you use, make sure that you burn the ISO file
as an image file, and don't just put it on the CD as a regular file. If
you say what CD burning software you use, I am sure that someone on the
list will know how to make it work properly.

You may need to change a setting in the BIOS to make the PC try to boot
from the CD before the HD, otherwise you will still get Windows. This is
harmless, because if there is no CD it tries the HD next. It may already
be set because Windows 2K and XP come on bootable CDs for easy
installation.

Hope that helps,

Richard