Martin

> With other communications to me, all can now be revealed! The cockpit
> instrumentation was those of 3D, hence I was not seeing the cockpit I can
> remember. However, I have banished the 21st century instrumentation and
> behold I have all dials working and flying blind to the Nimitz.

Good, except the correct cockpit (the one with the realistic dials) is 3d,
the Cessna thing is 2d. Do you know how you ended up with the wrong one?

> One point to note: in properties, yesterday, after instrumentation, there
> was a limited number of extensions and TACAN was not there. Today, thanks
> your Jpeg, all is now there.
>
> If it was not for the fact that many others have said that it was there
> and
> the dials were working, I would not have tried to find the problem alone.
> know that when I load FG, not everything loads and that's fact. Some days
> flying is good and others are head in a bucket day.

Do you know what's causing this - a local problem or ...?

> Someone mentioned Hunters and not RN aircraft. Poppycock, Hunters were
> given
> hooks and there were still some around at RNAS Brawdy (SW Wales), when I
> was
> there with Gannets.

Yup the Hunter FGA11 was a naval aircraft - that's why the model has Royal
Navy written on the side :-) They were converted RAF F4s and were not
carrier-capable. They were given hooks, used AFAIK for shore based training.
They had no catapult strop attachment points. Unless you can show me a photo
or drawing that says otherwise ...

> Something for all developers/builders of aircraft. All naval aircraft were
> designed to fly from the deck without catapults. Why? Should there be a
> breakdown. There were both steam and hydraulic ones operating. Observers
> were mentioned. They were there for Airborne Early Warning (AEW) gannets
> and
> Vixens and helicopters. Scimitars, followed by Buccaneers and then
> Phantoms
> were for specific rolls.

Well, in my navy the Buccaneer and Phantom had Observers, but perhaps that
guy in the back seat was a dummy ... hush my mouth ... that's no way to
speak of Observers. Free take-off in a Bucc or Sea Vixen ... not from
Hermes. Gannet possibly, although I never saw it done. It's not a problem
for aircraft designers - you feed in the correct engine parameters etc. and
it's either possible or not.

> Dangerous games on flight decks! On Ark Royal during the 12 months I was
> on
> her in the Far East - 1965/66, we lost 16 aircraft and 7 aircrew. Two of
> those in one day

Careless ... On HMS Hermes in `68 - '69 we lost 3 aircraft and no aircrew.

> Today, on landing on Nimitz at full throttle, catch No2 Wire, I carried on
> and was left hanging over the deck!!! When instant replaying to give you a
> snap shot, I found that the aircraft replays, but Nimitz carries on
> regardless and is to be seen a couple of miles further on her course.

You should be able to do a full throttle landing, but the wires may need
re-calibrating. Now we have a proper carrier-qualified pilot aboard some
more feedback would be much appreciated. I'm afraid we haven't done the
replay for the carrier yet.

Vivian