Curtis Olson a écrit :
> On Jan 2, 2008 2:14 PM, Yannick LE NY <> wrote:
>
>     There is a big problem with Nvidia drivers, because Nvidia add OpenGL
>     2.0 and 2.1
>     support in these drivers but some nvidia chip like Geforce 4 MX
>     440 have
>     only OpenGL 1.2
>     hardware features support.
>     But Flightgear use nvidia drivers and found Opengl 2.0 support
>     that are
>     only Opengl  software features support ans cost a lot in CPU.
>     More analysis here :
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg14993.html
>
>     Please add a command line option like
>     fgfs.exe --opengl-version-to-use=
>     for restricting flightgear to use a specific opengl version and
>     not the
>     version that was indicated by the nvidia driver.
>     With this option, I can use flightgear with the GPU opengl 1.2
>     hardware
>     functions only in my nvidia geforce 4 mx440 graphic card.
>     Opengl 2.0 software functions cost too many in CPU resources/power in
>     Flightgear 1.0.0.
>
>     Thanks to correct or add this workaround in the Flighgear source.
>
>     PS : Here ,
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/flightgear_wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Recommendations
>      >Wiki said :
>      > Recommended hardware specs
>      > 3D hardware accelerator, 128-256 MB, OpenGL 1.2 capable (2.0
>     even better!)
>     Flightgear should work with only an OpenGL 1.2 capable graphic card.
>

> I really appreciate the detailed analysis and investigation you have
> done here, but I wonder if there is something more or different going
> on here.  Until very recently (when my work laptop died) I was happily
> running FlightGear in 16 bpp mode on a 32Mb original GeForce Go card
> with old/legacy drivers ... this was a Dell Latitude C840.  The laptop
> was 2001/2002 vintage.  The laptop is dead so I can't confirm with the
> latest cvs, but up until about two months ago, it actually ran current
> OSG FlightGear surprisingly well for how old and underpowered the
> machine was.
Dell Latitude C840 is with a GeForce4 440 Go card (NV 17) (OpenGL 1.2
hardware support).
And I have a GeForce4 440 Mx 8X (NV 18) (OpenGL 1.2 hardware support).
These 2 cards have the same power.
Yes I can use correctly my GeForce4 440 Mx 8X - 64MB card with old drivers
but not my new Geforce 6200 Agp 8x - 256Mb with old drivers.
I buy for nothing this last card for Flightgear and I'm not happy with
this fact.

> Again, you've clearly done your homework and checked a lot of angles,
Yes, because I can not use my new Geforce 6200 Agp 8x - 256Mb with
Flightgear 1.0.0.
The solution for me is to use my old GeForce4 440 Mx 8X with old drivers
that works correctly with Flightgear 1.0.0.
> but I wonder if there might really be something else going on that is
> causing your slow frame rates?
What ?

For the request :
   Please add a command line option like
   fgfs.exe --opengl-version-to-use=
   for restricting flightgear to use a specific opengl version and not the
   version that was indicated by the nvidia driver.
The answer is no ?

Is-it possible to do a specific compile for a flightgear binary
that can use only  features  in  OpenGL  1.3  or lower ?
Opengl 1.4 and upper features in the drivers will be ignored by FlightGear.
And how to do this ?

Thanks in advance for your answer .

Best regards,

Yannick.