On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:03:43AM -0400, Adam Powers wrote:
> Proto 0 is actually a valid IP proto number though I've never really seen it
> used, especially not in large quantity (It's Hop by Hop IPv6 Option).

This holds only for Netflow implementations which support IPv6 pkts, right ?
(v9 ?)

> Vladimir, can you elaborate on the dropped flow indicator? I'm curious.
> Flows that are sent to Null0 or otherwise do not leave the router due to no
> valid route will usually have a egress IF set to null and a nexthop of null
> but I don't think I've seen Proto set to zero yet.

According to one CCIE, generally it holds that
  'dropped packet => NULL DstIf'

However, the opposite implication is not valid, so this means that nothing
can be deduced from NULL DstIf. It could mean process-switching punt,
unroutable, no cef or route to Null0. To distinguish between these cases,
it is necessary to look into counters like:
  sh policy-map int
  sh tcam int Vl10 acl in ip
  sh int stats
  sh ip traffic

According to the CCIE, Protocol 0 could be present in Netflow packets only if
it was present in original IP packet (so I was wrong in that assumption).

Protocol 0 could be also present in MPLS Netflow for MPLS-encapsulated
non-IP traffic but in that case also src/dst IP addr, TOS, ports, TCP
flags were 0.

v.